Friday, June 13, 2008

it has been nearly two weeks since i last posted, and i should prepare you to brace yourself for the next few days in regards to the contents of this blog.

i´ve seen a lot. i´ve been priveledged to have traveled to many corners of the earth and experience both the beauty and depravity of the human species. but the culmination of the images forever burned in my mind from these encounters are haunting me.

i am responsible.

as i peered over the trash dump for the first time 12 days ago, i became numb ... almost hardened by what i saw and smelled. it was a similar scene that i witnessed in india in the slums, the same thing i see in l.a. among the urban poor and the same emotions i feel on the inside in my worst moments ...

i refused to allow myself to respond emotionally to the grotesque situation these people were facing. i was almost angry that i had one more tainted vision of reality.

now, at the end of my journey here, those feelings of responsibility are what have breathed new life in my dry bones.

stay tuned for photos and anecdotes from my trip ...

(www.awakenhonduras.blogspot.com in case you can´t wait to hear about the trip)

No comments: