Tuesday, November 6, 2007

i had the great honor of celebrating the life of a good friend ... one of my first friends in fact ... on sunday evening. when i got to her apartment, i was greeted by familiar faces from a time when everything was still so new to me. as we sat around and caught up on life, i recounted the connections that have brought me to where i am.

let's start from sunday evening at the mayan:
- i found my closest friend at her ministry table to give her a hug before the service started. i met her through one of my best friends back home and was connected with her when i came to l.a. to interview. she was the first person i met out here.
- she had introduced me to dee, whose party i went to after the mayan.
- i sat next to a guy in church that i met the very first time i came to l.a. we have a mutual friend from wichita that was staying with him when i came to visit and it was in his studio in downtown l.a. nearly 5 years ago that i said i would never live in this "disgusting city." ha! now he and i see each other a few times a month ... in the city i swore to never live in.
- i met the love of my life after being connected with sarah, who i was connected to through her boyfriend who is good friends with the same individual that connected me to my closest friend in l.a.
- at the party, i caught up with a couple that i met at dee's in january. they had just moved here from ... kansas. yep. when they asked where i was from i said, "oh, you wouldn't know the town, but it's a suburb of wichita. do you know where wichita is?"
D: "yes! what suburb?"
me: "derby. you probably haven't heard of it. it's south of the city."
D (looking at his wife): "we just moved here this week from derby."
me: "shut up! "
we're now good friends and had a great time sunday sharing how far this journey has brought us to healing and joy.

all i know is that this weekend reminded me that i was created to live an original life. a life that can't be formed out of ordinary paths and formulas. and i am reminded by these connections that i'm on the right path ... my own unique path to finding the truest of myself.

3 comments:

Anne Jackson said...

this is an amazing encouragement to me today. i have moved a million times...am used to the "new girl" status, but am feeling a lot of anxiety about the one upcoming (to the place where i also said "never")

krysta rinke said...

i think we say never because there is something about that place that invites us to be someone we fear we are at the core. now that i'm in my "never" place, i know that i said it in complete fear of becoming. maybe that's because who we were made to be is usually so different from who we think we are.

you'll be fine. just stop running.

Korey said...

I said I would never live in Orange County! haha. But this is all part of your journey, specific to you, in which every step and misstep occurs purposefully. Beautiful.