Tuesday, August 5, 2008

i've been MIA due to a term paper that's due tomorrow ... apologies.

BUT i said something that was really funny (in context) yesterday that actually came up again a few minutes ago in a conversation.

(as i was walking about 50 feet in front of my lunch group) i said, "you know, i just realized ... i don't think i'm a leader ... i think i just walk faster than everyone else."

the girls laughed.

then it came up again in a conversation today and i started to think ... maybe walking fast isn't exactly the key to appointed leadership, but intentionality is. i knew what i wanted ... lunch. and the people that were with me wanted the same thing. they followed me because they didn't really care how we got there, they just wanted to end up in a place that served food.

and they got it.

so maybe i'm onto something ... maybe walking (quickly), with intentionality, DOES set us a part as people who influence others. or maybe i'm just completely out of it after having written a personal philosophy of leadership in third person in a 24 hour time period.

1 comment:

kim said...

this cracks me up. On our mexico trip, neil was the designated 'lead driver', which meant he drove van #1, with three following him. When we were bookin' it south on highway 1 for 6 hours, this conversation happened about 15 times:
me:"you can SEE the other vans behind you right?" him: "well, no, but they're all staying on highway 1, so they're fine."
me: 'you know, that doesn't mean you're LEADING them.'.
him: "yes it does!"
me: "no, it doesn't. you just happen to be in front of them going the same way."
him: "no, I'm leading."
me: "hey, if a leader is in front, but no one can see him..."
him: "yeah, yeah... the tree in the forest didn't make a noise..."

and so on. I'll let him know that you have made a point on his side of the conversation. :)