Wednesday, April 22, 2009

it's only because the events of this weekend are finally setting in that i'm finally able to write.

after an incredibly beautiful three days in NYC, i returned to l.a. with a new title, prompted by a simple question (which was met with a less simple answer), a magical ring and an entirely new trajectory for my life.

i may talk about wedding magazines and girlish dreams later because, after all, that's what us girls do after prince charming whisks us away on his noble steed and asks us to spend the rest of our lives with him. but the more i allow myself to think about what really happened that day ... the more i have come to realize that things do happen for a reason ... and all at the right time.

"do you know why i love this place so much?" i asked vince as we sat together on the grass enjoying our wine and snacks pre-proposal. "because every great city needs a great park. there's something about this place that rejuvenates your soul. i mean, the city can be so cruel. it'll eat you alive if you let it. but when you walk into this park, the sounds of the city fade and you seem to get lost in this little oasis. i love it! look at how happy everyone looks ..."

i watched with hopeful eyes as hundreds of people, scattered about this lawn, reconnected with nature. friends. lovers. family. throwing frisbees, reading novels and taking in good conversations and the warm sun.

i watched as we all become reconnected with our own humanity. right there on the plush green grass of central park.

in that space, hope actually set in so deep that perhaps this is the life we were created for, that vince's offer to prolong this feeling into an eternity together completely took my breath away. literally.

this will be the moment i will forever cherish where all of time seemed to stand still and heaven literally seemed so close to earth that i caught a glimpse of how things were meant to be.

and even now, as i type, i look at the ring on my finger that will forever signify the strength of love and the power of hope in a world that is dying to restore things back to the way they were meant to be.

it couldn't have been more perfect.

(thank you vince for bringing me hope, for being my love and, ultimately, for choosing me ... it's already the greatest honor of my life to be called your fiance.)

4 comments:

Anne Jackson said...

for once - our lives do not align! but congrats my friend!

Korey O said...

Powerful post, and an exciting time for both of you. I completely endorse marriage. I recommend it to people all the time. It is wonderful. :)

Jenn said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

You still haven't called me!

I share this joy with you and Mr. Vince.

Call me!

cb