Tuesday, May 15, 2007


Their music is still seeping through my veins and creating a little revolution in my soul ...

When I see people doing something really well, I mean something truly unique and inherent to who they are, I am aware of what us marketers work so hard to do every day. They have created something worth talking about. They've created an authentic brand ... and an organic culture around that message. These guys are phenomenal musicians and those who don't understand the complexity of creating music like the old jazz greats or the then "innovative" BEATLES would never really appreciate this band. And they know that. They may never top the charts because not everyone will get them. They're not trying to be everything to everyone. They have a loyal following and, within that niche, they've created fanatics for their product through a viral form of marketing. What they've done is invite people into a conversation ... about them. And at the same time, connect people with what they crave for their own lives.

Then I thought, will I ever stop taking marketing lessons from every aspect of my life? Will it ever get old for me to talk about creating authentic brands or seeking opportunities to market people/products that I believe in? Will I ever stop being this nerdy?

Nope.

And I'm ok with that.

Thanks to Until June for their performance Sunday at the Awaken Humanity Music Festival ... Daniel, you're humility changed my life. Dan, thanks for the sarcasm ... great first impression! :)

Thanks to Reeve Carney & the Revolving Band for creating a space in a little bar in L.A. for me to feel like I was a part of a spiritual uprising. Your raw talent and passion was a pure example of what living in your sweet spot looks like. Thanks for starting the conversation ...

No comments: