Friday, June 1, 2007

I've been doing some research on the "creative class" and have become increasingly aware of the characteristics that make a city more conducive to creative activity. I've always associated big business, innovation, and my role as a top executive with big city life (like the leading ladies in the movies - new york, l.a., london, paris, etc).

But a friend of mine (who is adamant about staying in Manhattan, Kansas) says, "you don't need a huge city to do huge business ... you just need a couple 30" apple displays ... a sweet computer, fast internet and an awesome apartment."

It makes me wonder. How much of this "big city" mentality is actually invoking change and how much of it is a facade to make us feel like the chaos is a direct effect of our contributions to bringing transformation? I mean, 10 million people in one county can create a lot of noise, but what's actually happening? On the contrary, how much can really happen when the culture is inherently slow ... what does that do to a visionary or a creative?

I'm curious ...

In which environment are you most creative?

2 comments:

Todd Ramsey said...

Working in a small(er) town ad agency, we certainly feel the prejudice against us. However, the quality of work and the strength of our strategy isn't eclipsed by larger agencies, simply on account of their being in Chicago, NY, San Fran, et al.

As for me personally, I'm most creative when I'm not forced to be, which is unfortunate, as a majority of my job is being creative on command.

kim said...

For me, barriers or catalysts to creativity seem to be internal rather than external. Nuff said. :)