Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"Common goals create community."

When I heard Eric Bryant say this last week at Mosaic, I knew I finally had the missing link to make this blog entry happen.

A few months ago, I had the privilege to spend time with some good friends from college here in Southern California. As we were sitting at the dinner table, I began to make a trail in my mind of my close network of friends and the impact they're making all over the world. From social workers to scholars at Stanford. From NASA and Disney engineers to Equity actresses. From Best Buy GMs to graphic designers. From musicians to business owners to church leaders. From global leaders to architects to strategists to med students to analysts.

My life is filled with people who are in a pursuit to create something new that will bring others hope. That's our common thread.

It's a beautiful thing to watch as each of us flesh this value out in a way that is truly unique to who we are individually.

I know the world will be a better place because of these 20 somethings (and those brave enough to mentor us).

Gratitude goes out to those I'm sharing life with. You inspire me and I will forever be indebted to your accountability and authenticity.

What's the formula for this kind of culture?
1. Authentic Community
2. Shared Vision
3. Complimentary Gifts
4. Common Language and Principles

Question: What culture are you creating? Or what culture do you wish to create?

3 comments:

kim said...

So this is one response to Anne's blog, yes? Community is being redefined and it's not geographic anymore. For upper/middle class, faith based, young adults at least... I'm not sure we can assume this to be true for the average 75 year old farmer, or the 23 year old living in Lithuania. Maybe it's even more specific than that. Maybe you and your community are more rare that you know! :)

krysta rinke said...

actually, i wrote this and then her post came later (which was so refreshing).

Luke Wright said...

I wanna create that kind of culture everywhere I go.