Thursday, August 9, 2007

I was on my back patio this morning with my bowl of fruit, marveling at my little plants and trying to figure out how I am going to hang my new patio lights, when I remembered how my summer mornings used to be.

We would stay the night at grandma and grandpas and wake up super early, go to the local donut shop, bring them back with our chocolate milk and sit on the gazebo outside. The birds would be chirping, the breeze would be just right and Tanner and I would be laughing, undoubtedly, at a joke grandpa just made. Grandma would be watering the plants around us and asking us what adventure we wanted to go on that afternoon.

I loved those mornings.

Since I moved to California, there have been many days when those memories come to mind. Some days, I go to the donut shop a few blocks down and bring them back and sit outside. Other days, I'm content with a healthier food choice, my MacBook and a nice cup of coffee.

What are your favorite summer memories?

4 comments:

thispresentsojourn said...

i think i can feel that breeze this post was so pleasant.

in grade school, i grew to expect my dad to come in every Saturday morning at 7AM, asking me if i wanted to join him on a trip to Hot Donut. he always asked in the same odd way, and i always knew what he meant: "good morning: sausage roll?"

unable to narrow down my choices, i'd choose them all. this was my usual meal: a sausage roll, a cinnamon roll, two blueberry cake donuts, and a dozen donut holes and a chocolate milk. yipes.

krysta rinke said...

i'm seeing a theme with favorite childhood memories ... donuts. i'm wondering if this is a midwest thing.

Korey said...

I love this post!! I don't have memories of donuts, (sorry) but my favorite Saturday morning memories include sitting on the warm concrete of my parents' front yard, barefoot, as motown music poured from a stereo in the garage and my dad washed his car. I washed the wheels. I knew we were ready for fun with a clean car and the Temptations starting our morning. After that we would ride our bikes together or play soccer in the park. *sigh*

Seán Fornelli said...

My favorite memories of childhood mornings are when as a little boy, I'd wake up and run and crawl into bed with my parents. The music on the radio was top 40 70s and to this day, that music makes me so nostalgic.

You have a very striking profile photo, btw.