Monday, August 27, 2007

I just started grad school last week and my first class is covering business ethics.

It's warping my brain and I often feel the need to stare at blank walls for minutes at a time just to keep my head from exploding.

That said ... I thought I'd pose a question.

What are your top 10 values?

Can you even think of 10? If so, how many of them do you feel are universal and how many of them were formed based on the environment you were raised or currently living within?

I'll be honest. It was really difficult for me to come up with a list of 10 values on the spot. We began to discuss the differing lists within in our classroom and I realized how close minded I had been for so long.

Then it hit me ...

How many times have I asked someone to compromise their values because I wasn't aware that they may have a different top 10 than I? And similarly, how many times have I compromised my own values because I didn't have a clear understanding of what I stood for?

Ugh. I knew I shouldn't have signed up for this. The last thing I needed was more to think about :)

5 comments:

Todd Ramsey said...

Who says we need 10?

krysta rinke said...

you don't. so what are your's?

Korey said...

Open-mindedness
Honesty
Creativity
Integrity
Kindness
Acceptance
Fairness
Modesty
Family/kinship
Humor

That was hard!! But thank you for the challenge.

kim said...

Congrats on taking the leap into school! Warped brains are a good thing. You know, for a short time at least. I don't think I can answer this question today, as I have a very short time at work. I'd WAY rather think about things like this...

Jenn said...

http://1000strings.blogspot.com/
Eric & Megan's Blog