Tuesday, September 4, 2007



Messenger: Who does this woman think she is that she can speak among men?
Queen Gorgo: Because only Spartan women give birth to real men.
Spartan King Leonidas: You come to my city bearing the skulls of conquered kings, you insult my queen, you threaten my people with slavery and death! Oh, I've chosen my words carefully Persian. Perhaps you should have done the same.

The King fights for his queen and knows she is a crucial part of his epic tale. He can't do it without her and she is empowered to engage in battle. She's strong, courageous and captivating.

The perfect example of the question I've been asking myself for years:
If men would be gentlemen, would women be ladies?

I think they would. And when they do ... they'll know this one is different.

2 comments:

Korey said...

Nice post, and a great question. Knights used to carry a symbol of their lady's patronage into jousts and battles, and the ladies would wear the sign of their proud knights through trials of their own. Women could speak freely in debate of their male counterparts (for the most part) and were respected and revered.

Drew said...

So a curious question comes to mind in light of all this, not that I disagree with anything you have to say, but my question would be as simple as what in your mind and heart defines a gentleman..?