Thursday, September 13, 2007

mir·ror :: /ˈmɪrər/[mir-er]
1. to mimic or imitate (something) accurately
2. to be or give a faithful representation, image, or idea of

I looked in the mirror this morning and was completely disgusted with the reflection. My body ached of disappointment and my face was a reminder of the person I am just below the surface.

I realized this morning how incredibly selfish I am. My uncanny ability to think that I'm entitled to certain things or that I can do something but judge others when they do it is sickening. Am I the only on that's that shallow?

Worse than that, I woke up knowing that there are people around me who love me unconditionally, even when I choose myself over them.

I missed an opportunity last night to be a person of integrity and intentionality. I let uncontrollable obstacles ruin my evening and consciously made the decision to focus on the fact that I didn't get my way, despite the way it made those around me feel.

This selfishness runs deep. Far deeper than what my mirror will ever reflect. There has to be a way out ...

1 comment:

Korey said...

The fact that you can recognize this is proof enough that this is one "weird" moment for you, and not at all the norm. People forgive, and this will soon be forgotten.