Friday, September 28, 2007

Much has changed since I moved to California.

For instance, as I got in my car this morning to go to work, I realized I needed to pick up my laundry from the laundromat. No, not my dry cleaning. My laundry. Meaning, I have actually resorted to dropping off baskets of clothes for them to wash and fold so that all I have to do is come by the next morning and pick them up.

I would never have done this back home. EVER.

My parents are coming in town this evening and I can't help but think of how different my life is since I left Kansas a little over a year ago. Most of it is change for the better. I feel like my future is wide open with possibilities that I've never considered before. My days are filled with sun, new friends and sounds of the ocean. But there are things that I miss like ... simplicity, open roads, rain, family, the comfort of my past.

I pray that, in letting go, I'm allowing myself room to become someone that I've always longed to become. My fear, however, is that I could be letting go of the very things that have made me who I am ... and the very things that people around me need.

For now, I'm ok with replacing my former chores with a bit more time in the evenings. Thanks 4th street Laundromat for helping me become a better person :)

4 comments:

kim said...

First of all.... J-E-A-L-O-U-S!!!!!

Totally breaking commandment ten and coveting your laundry service.

Secondly... you don't have to choose between your past and your present. No matter where you live, you're on a journey where your past interacts with your present. You can bring some of the things you still value from your 'past life' into the life you're living now.... and you can keep the sun and the ocean and new possibilities!

krysta rinke said...

:) i heart you!

Jenn said...

I think you're feeling this way because your 'rents are coming to town :) From what I can tell, California and all it has offered you (so far) has allowed you the opportunities you were looking for and didn't know how to find when you were living in KS. I'm proud of you. And like Kim said, you never have to get rid of the things from your past that you value and cherish...they will always be with you! Sending a hug!
Have fun with your M&D!

Korey said...

Well, personally, I just love doing laundary, so I guess I don't get the appeal in having someone else do it.




Hahahahaha. Okay but seriously, it is up to you to determine what life you lead and what changes you make (or what you keep from the past). In the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with who you are.