Tuesday, May 27, 2008

i just need permission to quit.

i spent the weekend so overwhelmed by the reality that i'm ... well ... overwhelmed. my trip to d.c. a week ago was a perfect escape from my insanely chaotic life back in l.a. it's not that i'm busier than normal, it's just that i'm busy doing the wrong things.

does that make sense?

i failed to recognize when the right time to step away was. i kept showing up because it made me feel like i was doing something, when in actuality, i was just driving myself farther into the ground.

i know that i'll always be a busy individual. i know that i'll always put 110% into the things that i'm a part of. but there is a clear distinction between someone who is working that hard at things they love and someone who is working that hard doing things that don't bring them to life.

i've been so angry lately because i don't have the time left to devote to the things i care about or to just have a night off. and after spewing my frustration, my roommate alice said, "quit. you're a smart person ... just quit."

for some reason i needed that. i needed to know that it was ok to quit and not feel like a complete failure. i needed to know that it is ok to say no and not be left with the guilt that you disappointed someone or let them down. i needed to know that i'm wasting someone else's opportunity to be great by being in positions that my heart isn't in anymore.

sometimes we need to re-prioritize. and sometimes, that means letting go of everything in hopes that it will bring you to the One thing that awakens your soul and brings more life than all the others combined.

2 comments:

Korey said...

This is a big, huge decision, but I think you'll find it to be the right one. Sometimes, for those of us who hate to give up on anything (we're not quitters--we've been "quitted on"?) sometimes we need someone to tell us that quitting, in this instance, is the right thing to do. It's not giving up so much as it is giving yourself a chance. You deserve it.

kim said...

you speak truth. This is a huge huge thing to realize.

however, you've just muddied some things for me in how I think about my own situation. dang.