Tuesday, June 16, 2009

honky tonk

let this be an enormous disclaimer: i'm not technically a country girl. i didn't grow up on a farm. i didn't own horses ... for long. and the closest i came to really living the life of 'country folk' was my few year stint in elementary school where i not only tried my hand at barrel racing, but also (along with my brother) became adorned in premium western wear. red ropers and belt buckles included. yes. there are photos for proof (which you will never see). but that doesn't make me 'country' and i am fully aware of that as i write this.

i have to say, however, that since i moved to l.a., i have more frequent daydreams about 'country life' than i do about 'city life.' could be the grass is greener complex since the opposite was true back in the days of starry nights, dirt roads and endless fields. and, as i rode the train today ... passing field of buildings and smog ... i listened to all the country music i had allowed myself to put on my iPhone (i think there were three songs total - because iPhone and country music doesn't seem synonymous.)

anyway, it made me smile. it reminded me of my grandma's country music star quizzes in the car.

[radio playing hit country music]
grandma: alright kids ... who is this?
krysta: dolly parton.

[radio plays another hit country song]
grandma: who's this?
krysta/tanner [droning]: randy travis ...

those were fun times. when i memorized every single word to the garth brooks song, "american honky tonk bar association" because it's the closest thing to rap music i had heard. and i'll have you know, it was dang cool to be able to sing that song all the way through without skipping a beat. ladies and gentlemen, i went to his concert twice in one week when i was in high school. reba mcentire was my first CD purchase. fancy ... dang good song (as good as songs about mothers sending their daughters off to be prostitutes can be).

more than anything though, it reminded me of times when things were simple. because i was, well, a kid. and for some reason ... today ... i missed being a kid. red ropers and all.

2 comments:

Korey O said...

Because you can wear crap like that when you're a kid!

Okay but seriously, the thing I feel is missing from my life more and more everyday is the unknown. As I reach "grown up" territory, it's no longer a wonde:
-who i will be
-will i will do for a living
-who i will marry
-what i will look at.

And while I am very happy with my grown up life, there are times that I yearn for the days where I could put on cowboy boots and believe that being a cowgirl was *actually* an option. :)

Korey O said...

Let's try "What I will look LIKE"