Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Typical scenario:

Krysta engages in conversation with ridiculously talented individuals. Finds herself wanting to immediately partner with them in their vision because she thinks the world needs what they have. Ideas are flying all over the place. Super psycho business woman comes out.

Somehow the conversation shifts to more personal issues (I'm guessing because dreams are so ... personal).

Family. Marriage. Kids. Traditional roles.

Seriously? Ugh. We were having such a great conversation though! :(

In my usual attempt to break the mold and be the girl who has no desire for such things, something happens. A sincere and matter-of-fact voice breaks through:

"Everyone in this room already believes in who you're trying to hide. You don't have to prove anything." Everything goes back to normal. It was a passing thought for others, yet, I fall silent.

Days later ...

Same conversation (why am I a magnet for these discussions?)... marriage, kids, family and my typical response of "it's not for me."

"I don't believe you." (of course you don't, I ponder to myself.Because every woman wants to be a house wife ...)

But no. This is not the individual's pattern of thought.

"You have something to offer. Something the world needs. Why wouldn't you pass that on ... leave your legacy? I typically agree with people when they say they don't want kids. They shouldn't. But not you."

Silence. Squirming. Sobering.

Now, this is what happens when you believe for so long that the way to break certain stereotypes or prove yourself is to do the opposite of the obvious. It's also what happens when you're hoping that what you want to believe about yourself is what others see in you. And then ... you meet people who wish you'd just believe in yourself as much as they believe in you.

Don't get me wrong, it's inherent to who I am to rock the boat ... create a little controversy. I'm completely sincere in my goals to move forward as a more career-driven than family-oriented individual.

But knowing that I have people around me that don't keep me in the same box I try to keep myself in, is terrifying and liberating.

For those of you who know me well: don't worry, I'm still going to change the world (or at least try). But maybe someday, so will my family.

3 comments:

Korey said...

I knew it! I want you to have kids. I want you to adopt kids. I want this because I also think you have something to contribute and that you can mold young minds and form more people who want to change the world. More than this, I want you to do what makes you happy, and if that involves children or does not, just own it.

kali said...

This doesn't surprise me at all. I never really liked that box anyway...
To be woman who contributes so much to the world, including life, well I can't think of anything better.

kim said...

There's nothing better AND worse than having people around you who speak honestly into your life, who call you on your facades, and who challenge your assumptions. If it's done with kindness, of course. Sounds like you keep finding people like that, which is good. As for the box you were trying to hold around yourself... I used to have one that looked a bit like that. And a friend pointed out that it seemed like I was starting to believe that 'my' box was actually superior to what I perceived to be the 'married with kids box'. This was true... I would never have said it outloud, but it was present in my head.

What I found out: there aren't boxes and there is all kinds of room for creativity (and conversely, room for 'blah' living) no matter what kind of life you're in.