Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Three years ago, in an auditorium with 8,000 other leaders, I heard Erwin McManus speak for the first time.

His words changed my life.

"Most of our lives are boring God to death. A hero is waiting to be awaken inside all of us and if you think you're talented enough, good enough ... you're not living out a big enough dream."

Finally. Something that resonated with who I was at the core. Finally my thoughts had been articulated in a way that I could never before explain to those around me.

Two years after that conference, I made the decision to move to L.A. to be a part the community that I had learned so much from.

Just this weekend, three years later, I was the worship leader for one of their morning gatherings. Even more paralleling, I had the opportunity to be the stage manager at our down town location - queing Erwin to enter the stage and breathe the same words I had heard in that auditorium in 2004.

It seemed my life had come full circle.

Miraculously interwoven into a moment that was far too large for me.

I met God this weekend in a very real way. As I stepped on stage, three moments flashed through my mind: The moment as I lay face down in my apartment in Wichita when I decided I wasn't going to stay where I was; the moment as I lay face down in my house in Long Beach when I declared I wasn't going back; and that very moment when I saw that, in my desperation, my decisions to move forward had brought me to a place that I couldn't have dreamed ... even for myself.

"Sometimes greatness is thrust upon us. When you follow Christ, He takes you to places that are too big for you. "

When I visited Mosaic a year ago for the first time (before I moved to L.A.), the band at played a song that I ended up doing back home later that week. It was, consequently, the last time I led worship in my home church.

This past Sunday as I stood back stage, my 13-hour day ended with the same song: In the roar of Your waterfall/In the storm of You/May You find me holding on/May You find me true/And I put my hope/And I put my trust/And I put myself in You/In You, Lord.

May this life continue to be an adventure full of moments that awaken the hero inside all of us.

5 comments:

Korey said...

The ending of this post gave me chills. I don't know why you think it isn't good enough...but maybe you are outside of your comfort zone with this type of writing and your feeling of discontent is a sign that you need to do this more often. From this you will grow.

kim said...

What a great reflection. I love that you know you're a part of a larger story. I love that you're recognizing the simultaneously ridiculous and amazing path that has led you where you are. And I love that the part where you actually find yourself in motion always comes after surrender.

This line: "Sometimes greatness is thrust upon us. When you follow Christ, He takes you to places that are too big for you. "..... what does 'greatness' mean to you in this context?

krysta rinke said...

greatness: what it means to me is stepping into a moment fully confident that i'll make it through, but also fully confident that i don't deserve it. i honestly think i used to believe that, because i had worked so diligently for something, i deserved opportunities.

reality: i know that i was created to bring something unique and desperately needed to humanity. but i have to be desperate myself. and when i'm anticipating my "big break," there is little room for impact. i can lead now because i'm walking right next to them ... not in front of them.

kim said...

Does it feel more 'right' this way? I would think that it would.

krysta rinke said...

it feels more honest.