Wednesday, November 5, 2008

i wanted to post a blog yesterday about why i voted for barrack obama.

i wanted to tell you about the soul searching that took place and the inspiration i found from his values and ideals for this nation ... for me as a citizen.

i wanted to talk about voting, for the first time, for what i believe in and not what i am supposed to believe in as a kansas native and of republican heritage.

today, i wanted to say how proud i am that america voted for a black man to lead our nation. i wanted to say how blessed i feel to be a part of a nation that chose not to allow our past to proceed us and define who we are to become.

but instead, i have to say this ...

we have a long way to go.

the juxtaposition of the election of a black man and the overwhelming response to the homosexual community, tells me that we have not completely overcome our lineage of discrimination.

i believe that this country was founded on the basic principles that every citizen is entitled to the rights outlined in the constitution. i believe in a God that loves everyone, no matter where they are or what decisions they make. i believe in a future that, not only tolerates people who are different from ourselves, but embraces them for who they are.

my past tells me that my Jesus fish and an obama sticker don't belong next to each other on the back of my car. who i was, would say that it is my responsibility to cast a vote to legalize the behavior that i have chosen for myself so that others will have to follow suit.

who i am becoming, however, has to believe in the freedom of choice. because, in my mind, everyone matters ... christian or muslim or atheist ... black or white or brown ... republican or democrat or libertarian ... young or old ... rich or poor ...

and, by the way. for those of you who are in shambles about this election, i can offer sincere hope for you as well. God is bigger than this election and, contrary to popular belief, bigger than this country. we're going to be ok.

2 comments:

Korey said...

I have to commend you for being a Christian, and not compromising your beliefs, but all for being fair and respecting the consitution and not finding that to be a compromise of your beliefs. You are the ONLY person I know who attends church and voted "No." I am disheartened and incredibly depressed today. I am embarrassed to call myself an American. I know we're making progrss, and I should be happy, but I can't get over the ways in which he are regressing to the past, when we prevented people of different races from marrying. I just need a sign that we aren't moving backwards. Is Obama that sign?

krysta rinke said...

this opens a very important conversation for a lot of people, i think. i don't think that it is our place to judge others. while, admittedly, i am quite skilled at being critical, i would hope that issues as blatant as these wouldn't expose my deepest flaws (intolerance, bigotry, etc). our generation didn't grow up with the civil rights movement. we were a by product of it. so this is also another reason it's hard for me to believe that we're moving towards obvious discrimination of another group of people.
i just feel compelled (personally) to walk next to anyone in their spiritual journey, not legislate or legalize their morality. it puts greater responsibility on me as a follower of Christ in terms of daily interactions, but it leaves people with a choice. free will (if you will).