Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Why is it that I always find myself making things WAY too complex?

I have been given an incredible opportunity to start a worship movement on the USC campus (which is, without a doubt, a passion of mine) and since that day, I’ve been over-thinking the entire process. I’ve gone from the acoustic campfire worship concept to creating a mini conference each week with guest speakers, full bands and interactive games.

Ridiculous. It’s just ridiculous.

Why when I have an idea, does it have to go beyond the intended purpose? My desire isn’t to create a weekly conference centered around Christian living … it’s to create an environment where people can worship … celebrate … party.

So I’ve stripped it all back … kind-of. :)

I’m sticking to my roots and providing a worship experience in the form of a party. I think college students can relate to that. And they have a lot of celebrating to do, so why not give them the chance to give credit where credit is due?

Rob Bell wrote something that really resonated with me this week (he said a lot of things, but this one in particular applies to this entry), ” This is what we’re all dying for — something that demands we step up and become better, more focused people. Something that calls out the greatness that we hope is somewhere inside of us … Our gift to the world is hope. A kind of hope that comes from staring pain and suffering right in the eyes and refuses to believe this is all there is … we need to throw better parties. It is in the flow of real life, in the places we live and move with the people we’re on the journey with, that we are reminded it is God’s world and we’re going to be ok.”

Get ready. Something is about to happen on the USC campus. Something huge. Something uncontainable. Something crazy.

Something real.

No comments: