Wednesday, April 18, 2007

the t-shirts that spoke

(March 23rd, 2007)

So I was sitting in the courtyard today and was surrounded by hundreds of colorful shirts, each with a different story or proclamation regarding rape. I was caught up in the power of the words that were written boldly on these t-shirts. As they flapped gently in the wind under the warm heat of the day, I became aware of conversations that were taking place all around me. I even found myself remembering moments where I too was emotionally abused and taken advantage of physically.

I listened as my friend recounted the stories of colleagues who had been victims. Then I thought, “This is brilliant.” These women are speaking out on shirts, with their friends and at this school and these conversations began because you couldn’t avoid the beauty that surrounded their words of hope and redemption. It was inescapable. You were forced to walk through the words and acknowledge their reality to get anywhere else on campus.

I couldn’t help but remember the times I felt like I wasn’t treated fairly, where I wasn’t strong enough to stand up for myself. For a moment I went back to those hours when I felt inadequate, worthless and ashamed. To feel that pain again and know that there are others all around me living in those lies, made my heart ache and my vision clear. It became evident in that moment that others are desperate for someone to speak truth, hope and love into their souls in the midst of oppression. And it reminded me of what I’m fighting for.

How are you getting people to talk about things that matter?

No comments: